TRASHION SHOW PROGRAM
Thank You for your interest in the 2024 KPB Trashion Show program, a Keep Pearland Beautiful project that promotes resource conservation through art. The theme for this year is “Trashy to Trendy”. Designers create wearable art made of items destined for the landfill or recycling. Participants become knowledgeable about problems associated with waste generation and then express them through fashion and artistic design. Below you will find program rules, judging criteria, prize categories, photo shoot, and runway Information.
Registration is online
1. Fashion must be made from at least 80% recallable or reused materials that would otherwise be thrown away or recycled. These fashions can include card-board, steel/tin, recycled fabric or clothing, aluminum, plastics, paper cartons, chipboard, newspaper, mixed papers (magazines, junk mail, and catalogs), paper bags, and glass. Vintage or used clothing will not be accepted unless it has been significantly repurposed and redesigned into something substantially “new.” Other ideas to help you with your design will be provided after registration.
2. Contest pieces must be durable enough for wear throughout the Fashion Show, and photo shoot. Entries may include 1 to 5 people on their trash design team. Each entry must provide its own model. The model does not have to be part of the design team.
3. Provide an “environmental factoid” that connects with your fashion to read on stage (i.e., Lyana’s dress is made of 124 sheets of paper. In the U.S., we throw away 4.7 million tons of office paper each year.)
4. Designers and models must be 16 years of age or older to participate in the program.
All Designers and models will be asked to be at the Stella Roberts Recycling Center on Saturday, April 6, 2024, to get ready and attend the Judges’ interview session. Photoshoot will be held on the same day. If you need time for hair and makeup before the judging, please let Lenora Tollefson know so that we can coordinate with the other contestants. Contestants will earn points for participation in the interview session, the presented environmental factoid, the design quality, originality and use of the recycled materials.
On the day of the photo shoot, April 6, contestants will meet privately with judges. We are asking designers to meet at the Stella Roberts Recycling Center at 1:30 PM . During that time contestants will be judged on the following:
- An introduction of individual or team members,
- Description of the process for creating your design,
- Description of what the outfit was constructed from and how the items are held together,
- Inspiration behind creation,
- Environmental factoid,
- Confidence and certainty in answering the questions
During the live Runway Show contestants will be judged on the following:
- Design quality (i.e. neatness, attention to detail, does the design hold up when being worn),
- Originality (uniqueness, inventiveness, creativity),
- Use of Trash and Recycled Materials (80% or more of reused or recycled items)
The points mentioned above will be scored by a diverse team of judges that represent the fashion industry, community leaders, local government, and sustainability professionals.
Prizes will be awarded as followed:
First place – $1000
Second place – $500
Fan Favorite – $250
The judges’ decisions and prize awards will be based on the criteria outlined in the judging section. The judges’ decisions are final.
On Saturday, April 6, 2024, all contestants will need to attend the photo shoot immediately following the judges’ interview session. If you are not able to attend, please let Lenora Tollefson know! Photos will also be used for community events, online, and for all marketing and publications for Keep Pearland Beautiful and Trashion Show partners. The location will be at the Stella Roberts Recycle Center. 5800 Magnolia St, at 1:30 PM.
Keep Pearland Beautiful will host the KPB Gala and Trashion Show on April 18, 2024. Tickets for the event are $150. Designers and Models are free of charge.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Registration Deadline: 1/31/24
Photo Shoot & Judging: 4/6/24; 1:30 – 3:30 pm @Stella Roberts Recycle Center
Keep Pearland Beautiful Gala & Trashion Show: 4/18/24; 6 – 9 pm @Knights of Columbus Hall, 2320 Hatfield Rd, Pearland, TX 77581
KEEP PEARLAND BEAUTIFUL